« Home | Bad Blogger/ Good Worker Bee! » | What's an Artist to Do? » | New Paintings this Week » | New Sketches in my Moleskine » | Computer WoesNot happy... not happy!My computer is... » | I Love a Good, Rainy DayHere is something that you... » | A Peek Inside (My Moleskine, that is)So..... this ... » 

Sunday, November 05, 2006 

"Breastplates" and "Crossroads" Pictures

I am so excited to finally update my blog with pictures from the opening at Moffitt, and information about my two most recent openings!










The Crossroads show at Mirta's was our preview show for our larger Breastplates show and tour. It was only up for a few weeks, but I did sell two of the pieces I had hung in the show, and we received some press for the event to carry over to our Moffitt exhibit. Our opening there was well-attended and we all had a great time. We did get strange news when it was time to take our show down. Mirta's announced that our show would be the last one there, and that they would be closing, as one of their partners recently left the business.

Our Breastplates and Other Artful Armor Against Cancer show just opened this past Wednesday, November 1st, at the beautiful Stabile building atrium at H. Lee Moffit Cancer Center and Research Institute in Tampa. It was well-supported by Moffitt's leadership board, and will possibly give us connections at other venues. Belleview Hospital in New York was mentioned as another possible facility, and we are already in negotiations with a gallery in Chicago and a medical facility in Philadelphia, so after some time goes by, I'll let you know what comes of all these.

As it stands, we will have our show up at Moffitt through January 20th, 2007. We will be joining forces with another touring show that is focused on breast cancer survivor's portraits, called Faces of Courage. One of my pieces, titled "Wrappings" is currently being shown in a window display with the Faces of Courage work in popular Ybor City. Some of the Breastplates work will join with the Faces of Courage show, and we will have additional venues to display both locally and on the tour, due to the places they have already secured for their tour. It is all very exciting!

I had thirteen pieces in the Mirta's show, and currently have my breastplate and three additional pieces in the Moffitt show, one of which has sold.

I have a lot of other things to update here on the blog- other work I've done recently, etcetera, but here is the work shown at Moffitt for the Breastplates event.

All art shown in these pictures is my work, but I did show the entire "torso wall" which includes a wonderful mosaic torso by artist Jennie Petruney of Philadelphia, and a beautiful copper torso piece with photo collages of breast cancer survivors hanging around the neck like a necklace. My breastplate is the one on the far left, mounted on a square blue canvas. Isn't the torso wall cool??!!

About me

  • I'm Lori
  • From Florida, United States
  • I am an artist and teacher who enjoys doing things that bring enjoyment and meaning to my life. My two main interests are dogs and art/creativity. I love to share my passion for these with others.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates