« Home | New Paintings this Week » | New Sketches in my Moleskine » | Computer WoesNot happy... not happy!My computer is... » | I Love a Good, Rainy DayHere is something that you... » | A Peek Inside (My Moleskine, that is)So..... this ... » 

Saturday, May 20, 2006 

What's an Artist to Do?

Do any of you feel like your right brain gets in the way of normal life? I float about three feet above the ground almost all of the time- never quite grounded- looking at all the inspiration around me and daydreaming a lot of the time about what art I will make next.

This doesn't work well with:
A- Driving
B-Walking
C- Paying attention to all the other stuff of the world
,
Sooooo- I tend to do not-in-the-moment things quite a bit, and it gets me in trouble.

Yesterday, my big ditz move was losing my box of paints. Now, how can an artist lose her paints, you ask? Well, I set it down, after my weekly drawing and painting class, while I was cleaning up the water that I spilled, which I was pouring down the water fountain drain, (of course!) I must have left it on the table there, and went on my merry way, so now I am am paintless (at least ACRYLIC paintless). I am praying that they are safely in the lost and found, or I will have to replace all of my cadmiums, cobalt blue and all of the others-you know, all of the *expensive* ones.

I haven't updated my blog in a while, so I have a lot of new things to upload here. Here is a drawing that I just completed this morning in my sketchbook:




I have been working a lot on my breastplates pieces, and I attended a preview of our show this past Thursday evening, which was wonderful.

We showed our preliminary work, and a few completed pieces for the Fall Breastplates show, at a mixer for a national conference for healthcare educators, called Cancer and Cultural Literacy.

I met some fascinating people at this event, who were very interested in our pieces, and I helped Kathy facilitate an interactive piece that she is working on called "Wardrobe of Heroic Proportions," where attendees could add to the piece that she is creating, which will later be sewn into an oversized kimono.

There were groups at the conference who target cancer education in diverse communities here in the US- Amish, Mennonite and Haitian, for example. I found it interesting to walk around and read about the different approaches that are taken with the needs in mind of each group.

This made me know, even more, that I have followed a good path here for myself. Getting to know Kathy has been great, and it has opened up a lot of doors for me that feel so right.

I also got to spend the evening with Janet Aponte, a fellow artist who will be exhibiting in the Breastplates event.

I found out, a few days after my mother passed away, that the nurse who attended mom that night and who helped us through everything was Janet Aponte! I had never met her before night my mom died, and I had no idea that she was an artist.

After sharing such a profound experience on the night of my mom's transition, I was almost in disbelief when I found out that she was one of the other eight artists chosen for the Breastplates show.

There just aren't any coincidences, you know? Just another amazing thing that has happened to me in my amazing life. I am so blessed to be able to be an artist. So maybe that right brain thing isn't all bad....

Here is an update on "Healing Light," one of the paintings I am doing for the Breastplates and Other Artful Armor Against Cancer show that will kick off at Lee Moffit Cancer Center in Tampa this coming October. I have warmed up some of the tones in the painting, but need to make it a lot lighter. I'd do it today if I didn't lose my paints!!!


The other two are smaller paintings, done in my Moleskine sketchbook- "Spring Barn" and "Portrait of Hedwig", both in acrylic paints on paper.

Hi,
I found your blog from your comment on my WDE posting and really enjoyed looking at your work and reading your blog. I was surprised to find so many similarities between you and I, since we're thousands of miles and many years apart.

I too love rainy days for exactly the reasons you said...and I too can be a a bit of a hazzard on the road while my mind is off on art projects and my eyes are seeing interesting details and looking into windows and forgetting to watch the road. Sometimes I sketch on the commuter train to work in the mornings and miss my stop, getting so lost in my drawing. I loved your post about starting off with doing art instead of all the other busy-ness that can drain time and energy so that when you finally get to paint you're too tired.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Jana Bouc

I too found your blog through wc. Lovely to visit. I'll be back. Love your style!

Hi Lori- What a nice blog. I love the things you shared. You are very skilled and have great sense of design. My sympathies on the death of your mother. The Breastplate project sounds like wonderful therapy- an honor to be one of 8 chosen and wow! to have your mom's nurse among the number too- you're right, there are no coincidences. Sometimes God lines things up so you can't ignore it!

hi again,

honestly, i havent had the time to read through this blog... have only seen the paintings and really like potrait of hedwig. very nice style of work and the brush strokes are efficiently placed. nice work.

rgds,
rohit

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Lori
  • From Florida, United States
  • I am an artist and teacher who enjoys doing things that bring enjoyment and meaning to my life. My two main interests are dogs and art/creativity. I love to share my passion for these with others.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates